What are Alumina Tubes Used For?
Posted by Callum on August 11, 2021
Alumina Tubes, as their name implies, are tubes made out of alumina. They are used for a wide range of industrial applications due to their diverse properties. What are these properties, which industries use them, and how are they used? Let’s find out:
What is Alumina?
The term ‘Alumina’ is just a short way of saying ‘Aluminium Oxide’. Making up around 15% of the chemical composition of the Earth’s crust, Aluminium Oxide is a very common material that can be found in high levels within many naturally occurring minerals. These minerals, when processed and refined, can be used to make alumina ceramics.
Alumina, once formed, has a diverse blend of properties which makes it perfect for many industrial applications. These include high values of electrical insulation, high chemical resistance, high wear resistance, and resistance to high temperatures. In short, it’s a very “resistant” material, making it perfect for use in many demanding applications involving corrosive chemicals, electricity, moving components, and heat.
What are the Applications for Alumina Tubes?
In more traditional industries, alumina tubes are commonly used within industrial ovens and furnaces. They are used as:
• Insulators for electrical connections.
• Heat-resistant supports and sample holders.
• Injector tubes and gas nozzles.
• Covers and sheaths designed to protect delicate sensors.
In more cutting-edge industries, alumina tubes are widely used as components in hi-tech process equipment. Applications include:
● Parts for CVD, ion implants, photolithography, and semiconductor systems.
● A high voltage insulator in plasma cleaning systems for aluminum rolling and coating mills.
● Components for use in the chemical industry because of their high chemical/corrosion resistance.
Our Alumina Tubes and Rods Enhanced Ranged Explained
IPS Ceramics offers an enhanced range of 99% alumina tubes. The benefits of our range include:
● Available with open both ends (OBE) and closed one end (COE) ends.
● A variety of sizes can be cut to bespoke lengths.
● Stock items are being dispatched within 24 hours.
● Custom length tubes being dispatched within 48 hours.
● Same-day shipping is available with an express fee.
IPS Ceramics stock alumina tubes in 600mm lengths which can be cut to your length requirements. We also offer a full range of alumina tubes with different lengths and diameters which are available on a bespoke basis.
You can buy our standard sizes of alumina tubes through our online shop. For bespoke sizes, please feel free to contact us with your requirements.
Got any questions? Get in touch now
If you have any questions about alumina tubes, please do not hesitate to contact IPS Ceramics today. Our team of specialists will be more than happy to help.