Alumina Tiles Explained
Posted by Callum on February 5, 2021
Alumina is a cost-effective and widely used material for a wide range of industrial applications. IPS Ceramics have developed alumina tiles which are optimised for maximum wear and corrosion resistance.
Alumina has a high density, diamond-like hardness with superior mechanical strength properties. This makes it the material of choice for a range of demanding applications.
Suitable for Many Applications
Alumina tiles are mainly used in three types of application.
- Larger, thin tiles are often used as support plates for sintering or heat treatment processes. Tiles as large as 400 x 300mm can be produced. Their surfaces can be ground for excellent flatness and smoothness.
- Thicker plates are used where abrasion resistance is important, including anti-drill plates for locks, grinder resistant inserts for security fencing, wear-resistant cover plates for material handling equipment, and mosaic mats for covering chutes in the mineral processing industry.
- Small tiles and discs are used as substrates for LED and other electronic packages. These tiles are often around 1mm thick and may be shaped or drilled using laser cutting.
Other industries which use it include Research Laboratories, Technological Components, EV Battery Components and Ozone Generation. More specialist applications are numerous, typically making use of the ability to grind alumina to close tolerances or to achieve a mirror-finish by polishing.
IPS Ceramics is constantly working with design engineers and system manufacturers to look for new applications for the alumina tile.
The Benefits of Ceramic Alumina Tiles
Alumina tiles offer:
- High levels of stability, being unreactive with most chemicals.
- Superior wear and abrasion resistance.
- Excellent resistance to high temperatures (up to 1600 °C).
- Strong, even when very thin.
Got any Questions? Get in Touch Now
If you have any questions about alumina tiles, please do not hesitate to contact IPS Ceramics today. We have a collective 250+ years of experience in ceramic technology, including design, material selection and manufacturing. Our team can quickly and expertly evaluate possible ceramic solutions to suit your specific needs, catering for a whole host of manufacturing, engineering and laboratory demands. We can ship our products worldwide.