Silicon Carbide Burner Nozzles
Posted by Liam Morgan on September 27, 2016
The use of silicon carbide tubes for industrial burners has gained popularity, as it is now well–proven technology within the ceramics industry. They offer improved temperature uniformity and increased control.
In any industrial heating process, perhaps the most critical aim is to provide a carefully controlled temperature profile within the kiln or furnace. Whether the fuel is natural gas, LPG or oil, the location of the burners is a potential hot spot within the kiln. Burner flames can be long enough to make contact with the product or kiln furniture, causing very severe overheating that is damaging to both. Even when the exposed flame is kept at a safe distance, direct radiant heating can cause localised overheating of products and subsequent quality problems.
Burners that use silicon carbide tubes offer several advantages:-
- The tube forms a chamber within which most of the combustion takes place. Only a minimal amount of flame is directly exposed to the kiln load, almost eliminating radiant hot spots.
- The tube exit is normally tapered to increase exhaust velocities. Greater velocities improve mixing within the kiln, improving temperature uniformity.
- Greater exhaust velocities also increase the entrainment of the kiln atmosphere from around the burner, diluting the hot exhaust stream and ensuring rapid energy transfer.
IPS Ceramics can now offer most sizes of silicon carbide tube to match your existing kiln burners. We use silicon-infiltrated silicon carbide (SISiC) – this can also be called reaction bonded for most applications.
What Are The Benefits of Silicon Carbide Burner Nozzles?
- Manufactured using a high–quality material giving a long service life
- Low thermal expansion and high conductivity give exceptional resistance to thermal shock cracking
- Dimensionally stable with no significant deformation and creep
- Resistant to oxidation and corrosion
- No burner quarl is required.
- Suitable for both brick or fibre linings
- Used in most kilns types – tunnel, roller and shuttle
SiSiC is recommended for most kilns and furnaces working below 1350𝇈C, however IPS Ceramics can also offer ReSiC material for applications working at higher temperatures.
Want To Know More About Silicon Carbide Burner Nozzles?
At IPS, we have a range of high-quality products that are available for a range of projects. If you’re interested in Silicon Carbide Burner Nozzles and would like to find out more or make an enquiry, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team and we’ll be happy to help you with your requirements.