Zirconia and Zirconia Toughened Alumina
Zirconia is a ceramic in a class of its own due to the transformation toughening that takes place during manufacture. The result is a very fine-grained, fully dense ceramic that is tough enough to survive engineering applications that would shatter other ceramics.
- Sintered to full density for maximum strength
- Tough enough to replace metals in a wide variety of applications
- Exceptional abrasion resistance
- Low thermal conductivity – can act as a thermal barrier in assemblies
- A high thermal expansion which is similar to some steels – reducing stresses at metal to ceramic joints
IPS Ceramics Toughened Alumina
The toughening effect of zirconia is maximised at room temperature, but progressively reduces as the temperature is raised from 200oC to 500oC. Although zirconia can be used at higher temperatures the toughness will be similar to other ceramics (such as alumina).
IPS Ceramics offers Yttria stabilised Zirconia (Y-TZP) for ultimate performance and zirconia toughened alumina for where a more economical alternative is needed. Typical uses for Y-TZP include industrial cutting blades for yarns and textiles; bearings and seals; pump and valve components; wire-drawing cones, rollers and guides.
If you have any further questions about any of our products or services please feel free to contact us today for more information.